Day 5 Small ゃ, ゅ, And ょ Yo On3 minute read · Sun 5 December
Day 5 Small ゃ, ゅ, And ょ Yo On
Welcome to the fifth lesson in the series and the last lesson to review Hiragana! We're looking at Yo-on today. This is where you can attach a smaller ゃ, ゅ, or ょ to other kana to create an elongated sound. There's a-lot of them but as you will know by now, all follow the same pattern. This lesson you will be adding a 'ya', 'yu' or 'yo' after the consonant, usually using the i column (except for sa).
き (ki) → きゃ (kya) and ぎ (gi) → ぎゃ (gya)
き (ki) → きゅ (kyu) and ぎ (gi) → ぎゅ (gyu)
き (ki) → きょ (kyo) and ぎ (gi) → ぎょ (gyo)
し (shi) → しゃ (sya) and じ (ji) → じゃ (jya)
し (shi) → しゅ (syu) and じ (ji) → じゅ (jyu)
し (shi) → しょ (syo) and じ (ji) → じょ (jyo)
ち (sa) → ちゃ (sya)
ち (sa) → ちゅ (syu)
ち (sa) → ちょ (syo)
に (ni) → にゃ (nya)
に (ni) → にゅ (nyu)
に (ni) → にょ (nyo)
ひ (hi) → ひゃ (hya) and び (bi) → びゃ (bya) and ぴ (pi) → ぴゃ (pya)
ひ (hi) → ひゅ (hyu) and び (bi) → びゅ (byu) and ぴ (pi) → ぴゅ (pyu)
ひ (hi) → ひょ (hyo) and び (bi) → びょ (byo) and ぴ (pi) → ぴょ (pyo)
み (mi) → みゃ (mya)
み (mi) → みゅ (myu)
み (mi) → みょ (myo)
り (ri) → りゃ (rya)
り (ri) → りゅ (ryu)
り (ri) → りょ (ryo)
Phew! By the way, you can make ぢゃ, ぢゅ, or ぢょ with ぢ in theory to sound exactly the same as じゃ, じゅ, or じょ, but they are not commonly used.
And here's today's homework:
- • Watch the video, and match the shape with its sound. You can see the next lines of kana on the chart
- • Follow the stroke order and write it on your own on a piece of paper 10× times or more. Gridded paper can help you get the proportions correct which you can download and print here.
- • Then, write it down again without looking at anything.
- • Come back in 3 days to repeat Task 3. Set a reminder on your calendar while you remember!
- • It's time to review the ma, ya, ra and wa kana again to refresh your memory. The ya line will be helpful now you know how powerful it is.
Was this article helpful?
More you might like
Want to learn even more? Start your free Pro trial today.
You learn or relearn even faster and become more confident with a small time investment each day.Start your free trial